Chickpea Nuggets

It's taken me a few tries to perfect the 'vegan' chicken nugget recipe, but I finally got the spices and timing to a point that my kids love them.

Preheat oven to 350.  Print recipe here.

Nuggets

  • 20 oz drained and rinsed chickpeas
  • 2/3 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
  • 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
  • 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup water
Breading bowl 1
  • 2/3 cup non dairy, unsweetened milk (we use almond)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Breading bowl 2

Pulse chickpeas in a food processor until no whole beans are left (you can also use a fork and mash by hand).  Combine all nugget ingredients including mashed beans together.  Mix with a spoon until combined well.  Turn out onto a working surface and knead until gluten strands (stringy threads that look like glue) form.  Set aside.

Combine milk and lemon juice, whisk until frothy.  Combine dry ingredients for bowl 2 in a separate bowl, mix well.

Form nuggets from mixture that you set aside, I try to do smaller pieces and then flatten them a bit so when they cook they are super crispy, plus they look like a traditional chicken nugget.  Dip the nugget in bowl 1 and then bowl 2 and coat completely.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Bake nuggets 20-25 minutes, flipping half way through.  I check the top before I flip to ensure they are crispy.  Usually take 10-12 minutes per side.

I have yet to try these in my air fryer but plan to do so next time I make them, I'll update the post when I do.  Serve these with homemade fries and it's better than any fast food joint out there...healthy, delicious, and vegan!





Comments

Popular Posts